{"id":3665,"date":"2017-10-19T13:33:12","date_gmt":"2017-10-19T13:33:12","guid":{"rendered":"http:\/\/club.runthrough.co.uk\/?p=3665"},"modified":"2021-10-05T07:56:42","modified_gmt":"2021-10-05T07:56:42","slug":"runner-feature-shahjahan-kadir","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/club.runthrough.co.uk\/runner-feature-shahjahan-kadir\/","title":{"rendered":"Runner Feature – Shahjahan Kadir"},"content":{"rendered":"\n

\"Runner<\/p>\n

Shahjahan Kadir<\/strong> is a regular runner at our events having become a 2017 season pass holder and has gone from strength to strength having now taken on four Wimbledon Common half marathons and countless 10k races<\/strong><\/a> with plenty more to come. Having only started running this year we think you’ll agree this is a huge achievement and here is his story…<\/em><\/p>\n

I always considered myself as physically inactive.  I tried several times to run but couldn’t run more than a kilometre. I started to believe that running is not my kind of thing and this is something I can never improve upon.<\/p>\n

Being diagnosed as a diabetic<\/strong> patient at the age of 45<\/strong>, I was really confused and wasn’t sure what to do. I was advised by friends and family, and especially two of my colleagues, to start running. One of my colleagues advised me that I can run longer than a kilometre if I run slowly. That was basically the starting point for my running!<\/p>\n

[toggle title=”Running with Diabetes<\/strong>” state=”open”]Since 1996<\/strong>, the number of people diagnosed with diabetes in the UK has risen from 1.4 million to 3.5 million<\/strong>. It is predicted that up to 549,000 people in the UK<\/strong> have diabetes that is yet to be diagnosed. This means that, including the number of undiagnosed people, there is estimated to be over 4 million<\/strong> people living with diabetes in the UK at present.<\/p>\n

Running can be an ideal form of exercise for people with diabetes as it helps improve the body’s sensitivity to insulin. The benefits of running are:-<\/p>\n